Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Learning by Doing

“Okay, now the key is to always smile and never lose your cool. And as wrong as they may be, you have to remember the customer is always right,” Ashley said. It was my first day of server training at my new job, and I was terrified. I was personable and outgoing and everything, but Ashley, my trainer who’d worked at the restaurant six years, had the job down to a science. “If you don’t know the answer to something a guest asks you, don’t make something up. Say you’ll be right back with the answer and come ask one of us for help.” Ashley would definitely be the one I was going to for help.
“Hi folks, how are you tonight? I’m Ashley and I’ll be your server. This is Jamie, she’s training and helping me out tonight.” She continued with her spiel for a couple minutes, got their drink orders, and we walked away towards the bar. “These are the main drinks you need to know,” Ashley said pointing at the liquor list. “The top selling wines, their descriptions, and then the main kinds of liquor we carry, and the beers we have on tap.” She saw the bewilderment on my face. “Don’t worry! You’ll get it, I promise. Practice makes perfect. I’ll write all the main points down for you later. But for now, we’re learning by doing.”
I followed and observed Ashley all night. I couldn’t have asked for a nicer and more knowledgeable trainer. At the end of the night, we sat down to review. “You did good, girl,” she said with a smile. “All it really takes is time to come into your own. People like people who are nice. People like people who are open and want to help. You seem to have those things down pretty well, just study the menu for your test next week.” She took a sip of water. “I’ve been doing this a while. I’ve spilled too many drinks and food to count, broken too many dishes to keep track of, messed up people’s bills, orders, the works. And I still do those things sometimes. A positive attitude is key. Just remember, the night can’t last forever.” She smiled again. I think I’m going to like working here.

No comments:

Post a Comment