Tuesday, March 8, 2011

One of Those Talks

“You’re not going”
“I’m going.”
“You’re not going.”
“Yes, I’m going.”
“No, you’re really not.”
“I AM.”
“You’re NOT!”
Emily and Brandon continued their squandered attempts to win an endless battle. Emily had just gotten an amazing job offer in Portland, but her husband Brandon obviously preferred it if they stayed in Seattle.
Emily paused for a moment while she contemplated her response. “We shouldn’t be using ‘I’ when we talk about this. Whatever we decide we’re doing it together.”
Brandon sat down, also becoming a little calmer. “You’re right. But I’m not hiding the fact that I’m upset. My family’s here, Em. I might be being selfish right now, but so are you.”
“I know,” Emily sighed. “I just have never wanted anything more than this, Bran. My own office overlooking the city! And a management position at the best publishing house in Portland! It’s all I’ve ever wanted.. and you can work on the things you want there too.”
There was an awkward silence between the two, both trying to think of how to get their way in the situation.
“My parents are getting older, you know. I wanted to be around them as long as I could. I’d never forgive myself if something happened to them while we were away.”
“Oh, so now I’m supposed to feel guilty if something happens to your parents?!” Emily retorted. “Don’t give me that kind of unfair guilt, Brandon, not just because I’m trying to go after something I want.”
“I’m not trying to put guilt on you! I’m just saying how I feel.”
“Well you should probably say it in a way that puts a little less blame on this side of the table!”
Another silence. Not a thoughtful silence though, more like the kind of silence where they knew if either of them spoke too soon, it would be immediately regretful.
“Portland and Seattle really aren’t that far. I’ll be making enough money to where we can go visit them a decent amount.”
“I guess that’s true…” Brandon said. “But this doesn’t mean I’m giving in. I just mean it’s a good point.”
“I know,” said Emily. “I can try and be reasonable towards your points too.”
A third silence filled the room, but it was a more comforting silence than ever before.
Brandon finally spoke. “I guess no matter where we end up it just matters that we still love each other.”
Emily looked up, as if realizing she approached the situation wrong all along. “Wow. You’re right.”
Brandon smiled.
And Emily Smiled.
And then they smiled at each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment