Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Dinosaurs

Normal little girls played with Barbies. They liked to dress up dolls, braid hair, and snuggle teddy bears. Normal little girls liked things that were pink and with flowers. However, I was a little different than most normal little girls. Not only did I reject the mere sight of a Barbie, I preferred something a little more towards the masculine side. I, in my childhood, had a very strange obsession with dinosaurs. Not just the cute ones with the long necks, but everything from a t-Rex to a triceratops and a pterodactyl. It was a big strange for a little girl, but boy did I love my dinosaurs.
I’m not really sure what it was that made them more interesting to me than any other animal. I think it had something to do with the fact that they were extinct. Maybe in the back of my mind I figured I had better get my play time in with them now since I’ll never play with them in real life. I think I also liked the power they had – the fact that they ruled the earth for millions of years before we did?! I mean, how cool is that? Sometimes I would make them battle with each other, and sometimes they got along. Sometimes they could talk, and sometimes they spoke in rawwwwr’s. Whatever it was, I always managed to play with them for hours.
My favorite was a guy named Rex. I bet you can guess what kind of dinosaur he was by the name. I remember one day Rex and I were out with my mom, because I took him everywhere, and I ended up leaving him at a restaurant. I couldn’t get him back, and this led to hours and hours of crying. Then a couple days later, my mom showed up out of the blue with Rex! I was so happy. It wasn’t until years later she told me she’d bought a new Rex from the store and hadn’t actually found the original like she’d said. I still have my dinosaurs somewhere in a box at my parent’s house, and I plan on keeping them. Who knows, maybe I’ll have a strange little girl one day that likes dinosaurs just as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment