Monday, April 11, 2011

Instant Classic

Another day hungover in the sun at the car wash. Why did I sign up for this job again? Oh yeah, the tips are pretty awesome. But the sweating and the manual labor? I’m all for women’s rights and everything, but this job wasn’t meant for a girl. My friend Liz and I look at each other. Both of our eyes are screaming “thank God there’s no customers right now.” At least I have a partner in crime. Oh, I mean a partner in “work.”
A huge black truck pulls around the corner, ready to be washed. At first my heart sank. I actually had to work now? But then I realized I knew that truck. It was Jason’s truck, he’d came to visit.
“Thought I’d come to see you ladies in action! How much to clean my baby?”
“Ten bucks and a fifty dollar tip,” I reply as we greet with a hug.
After a few more minutes of talking and reminiscing and the previous night’s events, my boss comes out to see what’s going on. He doesn’t even have to say anything, his look says it all. He wants me to get to work, and he wants me to get to work now. I take the hint and pull the truck up to begin its wash. Jason comes to watch Liz and I go through the process – scrub, rinse, repeat. We’re joking around, Jason’s throwing bubbles at us, and we’re generally having a better time at work than usual. Until, of course, someone had to ruin it.
“Girls, exactly what is going on here?” my boss asked furiously, coming out from around the corner.
“We’re just going to rinse it and then put it right through,” Liz assured him with a laugh.
“You know, with your deplorable behavior lately, it doesn’t even seem like you ladies want to work here!”
Liz and I exchanged looks, but I spoke first.
“Well… the thing is, we don’t really want to work here. So… we’ll be leaving now.”
One shocked look, a quick rinse on the truck, and a peel out later, we were home free. The job really wasn’t worth the tips anyways. But the priceless look on car wash man’s face was. If I had to describe it, I’d say it was an instant classic kind of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment